Thursday, November 19, 2009

Lake Powell Sunset


Returning to Page, AZ after a day of taking pictures at Bryce Canyon National Park in April 2008 I was lucky enough to find the turnoff to the Lake Powell overlook that Kathie had pointed out to me a couple of days before. I'm used to overlooks that are fifty feet or so off the road, like in the Smokies; this one was about a mile from the highway down a gravel road, but Kathie had told me it was a great view and she wasn't wrong.


The first shot is looking NNE over the Wahweap Marina towards Castle Rock. When the lake level is up, there's a channel across that penninsula from Wahweap Bay to Warm Creek Bay in the distance. Since my visit they've deepened the channel - Castle Rock Cut - by eight feet. When the lake level is high enough that the route's open, it cuts about 12 miles off the voyage upstream.

 
The second view is slightly right of the first - the marina is at the edge of the picture. I took this whole series of shots from the overlook sitting on the tailgate of my pick-'em-up truck. And, of course, the whole series reminds me how annoyed I was with myself for not bringing my tripod along. So many of these vistas cry out for a good panorama and I forgot the tripod! I may go back through my shots and see if I can create one after the fact - I'll let you know.


This last shot was shot slightly to the right of the second, looking east with Navajo Mountain on the horizon in the center - maybe I can align these three. At any rate, what I like best about these, I think, is the dark foreground with warmly lit scrub brush, gravel, etc. It was interesting to sit there for 45 min watching the light change and shooting while the sun sank behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment