Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Great 2008 Southwestern Road Trip - III

 
Near the end of my stay in Page, I took an excursion across the border to Bryce Canyon National Park and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish I were more fit, that I could spend more time wandering around on foot. But alas, I guess I'll stick pretty close to the overlooks for the foreseeable future. The picture above here is looking northeast and caught a late-risen moon. The picture below is looking southeast from one of the overlooks. One of the surprises to me, both in Bryce Canyon and around Page, was that ravens seemed to be everywhere.
 

*****

 
After another day in Page, I headed for California by way of Zion National Park in southern Utah. That impressed me even more than Bryce Canyon I believe. It also emphasized the feeling I mentioned earlier about wishing I had a geologist on tour with me.

 
I took my time in Zion to notice more details in my immediate area than I usually do. I don't know what kind of bush this is, above, but it was bright and smooth enough to suggest it was just waiting to be varnished.

 
Here's another one of those curiosities relating to geology. The two different colors of sandstone are visually interesting. What causes one or the other? Why are they all jumbled? At any rate, they're both equally good at supporting cedar.

 
The differences between these two pictures were interesting. The picture above is probably my favorite of Zion. I had just entered that valley through a tunnel. The day was cool and clear and spring had just arrived. By the time I followed the road around to the western entrance of the park, where the picture below was taken, the clear air was much warmer and most of the trees in that area were already in full leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment