Saturday, March 23, 2013

Mayfield Park

Well, I mentioned a couple posts ago I was going to retire my old image processing software and educate myself in Photoshop. I think I’ve made considerable progress in the last two weeks, but it's certainly not second nature to me yet and it takes a lot longer to do essentially the same job I used to do with the old software. I have to assume that I'll get more efficient at some stage and that the change will have been worthwhile.

So in pursuit of this new educational goal, I’ve spent a lot more time inside than out. I made that unfortunate attempt last week (see the previous post) to get out and take more pictures and it took me till yesterday to get out and give it another shot. I made it to Mayfield Park, where the peacocks are in fine fettle. And I returned to Mount Bonnell, Redbud Isle, and Zilker Park. But I was reminded it’s not wise to forget that I’m diabetic. I made it home, ate dinner, and crashed early. I’ll remember next time. . .

Mayfield Park wasn’t as crowded as it was last week, but clearly everyone wasn’t back in school. I think perhaps home schoolers may be having a previously unnoticed effect. At any rate, there were enough kids running around that several of the peacocks removed themselves from the perceived danger of being run over by human youngsters. Ladders not on hand for the kids, the birds in question took to the various roofs.


The lighting conditions weren’t ideal for photography; it was bright and sunny out, but lots of shadow, courtesy of the live oaks,  made me glad for the recent Photoshop purchase. I do like the backgrounds in these rooftop shots, though.


Not all the peacocks were so skittish. I don’t know how old these birds are or anything about their molting process but I suspect this brave bird is a youngster. . . note the remnant of down on his back. I found it terribly amusing to be reminded that these birds seem to have a sense of humor. A peacock’s scream is awesome in its volume, but they are among several bird species that are accomplished mimics. When the more exuberant children approached at high speed in what the birds might have considered a reckless fashion, one would scream, “Oh, no!” and another would respond immediately, “Help! Help!” The first time this happened, I was surprised that the kids didn’t necessarily put it together. They were brought up short by the volume alone. They did get it eventually though; first, they thought it hilariously funny – what the birds were saying –  but after a reprise or two, they seemed to consider that the birds might actually be suggesting they cease and desist.


This isn’t my whole cache of pictures from yesterday’s expedition; I just take longer now to get them ready to post. I should make several posts from the bunch but I can’t guess how long it will take. But expect at least a few posts in the next several days. But be forewarned that, on the way home yesterday, I saw my first bluebonnets of the season. Dogwoods are few and far between in this part of Texas, but I like bluebonnets nearly as well. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment