Saturday, November 15, 2014

Mount Mitchell and Linn Cove Viaduct

I mentioned in yesterday's post that I picked up a couple of soft drinks at the beginning of the day's drive. I started getting thirsty after leaving Craggy Gardens, then drove a while longer before I remembered the drinks in the plastic bag on the console. I pulled one out and started to open it on a straight stretch of road. . . thank heavens. I hadn't thought about it previously, but Hendersonville's elevation is about 2200 feet and I was approaching Mount Mitchell, at 6683 feet. You know where I'm going with this, right? I had no sooner broken the seal on the soda bottle when I was reminded that the air pressure differential was likely to cause difficulties. And it did, all over my lap. I got the cap dogged down in short order, but both hands were very sticky. It was bad enough that I returned to Craggy Gardens, where I could wash my hands in the restroom. There was no way I was going to touch my cameras without washing my hands.

But my time was my own, and no one was waiting for me. So, back to Mount Mitchell. This first picture was taken at the Mount Mitchell visitors center or ranger station (I'm not sure which) located at Stepps Gap, about halfway between the Parkway turn off and the Mount Mitchell Summit. I think I could be happy there, at least most of the year; you can't beat the view.

The picture above is looking east or southeast from the visitor center parking lot, and the one below was taken from there as well, but definitely looking southeast. You can probably see halfway to Charlotte from here.


This shot was taken at the upper parking lot on Mount Mitchell itself. The view's looking northwest towards Burnsville in Yancey County. I may have mentioned that I was told years ago that in Madison and Yancey counties they hang the fields from the clouds, and plow both sides. That sounds very efficient. I didn't think it necessary to hike to the summit for a shot from the observation deck.

The drive north continued to be perfect, outstanding weather, cool temperatures, and only a little traffic.

These two pictures (above and below) were taken at the Laurel Knob overlook, where I decided to have lunch. The vista above was the reason for the overlook, and it was a good choice. But when you turn around 180°, you see the cliff face ain't too shabby either.


I knew I was getting close when I started seeing more and more cars parked beside the road. Then I was on the viaduct before I knew it, and started wondering where I'd find a spot to get a picture of it. I needn't have worried. All those cars were parked way too close for anyone to get any decent shots of the viaduct. There were good views to the south, but no reason to park where they had. As close as I can figure, using Google maps after the fact, I shot the view looking south (above) and the view of the viaduct itself (below) from a small parking area about 2 miles beyond the viaduct. The somewhat threatening feature above the viaduct is called the Black Rock Cliffs. Up on the ridge above them are the Raven Rocks. The Viaduct, the Cliffs, and the Rocks are all on the southeast slope Grandfather Mountain.

After the Viaduct, I backtracked on the Parkway to near Spruce Pine, then took NC 226 down to US 70 through Old Fort and on to Black Mountain. I hadn't quite finished by visiting Thursday, so I dropped by to see Susan and Marshall for a while before heading back to the motel. It was a nice visit, even if I made Susan late for her meeting. I felt like I'd gotten some good pictures in the last few days, but I was ready to leave in the morning for Charleston and relax for a few days with Tony and Donna.

No comments:

Post a Comment