Tuesday, May 5, 2015

View Looking Southeast from the Seawall

Let me say this about that. . . I breezed into Galveston from Freeport and found barely ample curbside parking space on Seawall Blvd. That is, there were scads of open parking spaces, it's just that they were barely wide enough for my GMC and I feared for the driver's side mirror the entire 15 minutes I spent watching the antics of the pelicans.

There's clearly not much variety in these shots. There were no clouds over the Gulf so I couldn't do anything about the clear blue skies. Note the tankers anchored offshore, awaiting their turn in the Houston Ship Channel.

I'd have been happier if the pelicans had agreed to dive a little closer to the seawall, but they're looking for fish, not being paid to fly closer to the photographers. A couple of offshore oil rigs and a pair of fishing boats on the horizon. . . that's variety. . . sort of.

Here's what was so compelling about this. . . apparently the fish are plentiful, because as soon as I got set up the pelicans started their reenactment of the Battle off Iwo Jima, kamikazes diving into the sea one after the other.

I tried to get one half in and half out of the water but that was a lot harder than you'd think. That aside, some of the splashes were spectacular.

Well, when I tired of this, I moved on up the boulevard thinking I might get some shots at the Pleasure Pier. But if there was plenty of parking here, there was practically none near the pier. That's okay. I did my recce of Galveston. I'll know what to expect should I find myself here in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment