Saturday, August 10, 2013

Relics from the Past - the Wernet Farm

In that last batch of photographs I scanned I came across one that I wanted to "fix" and publish. Inasmuch as I recently decluttered (more or less) my desk, I better go ahead and present the last of those pictures before I start scanning again.

You may remember this picture from a previous post. Last summer's reunion in Ohio was interesting as well as fun. The post included a couple shots of this wagon, redeemed from the barn before the Wernet family farm was sold, then refurbished and cared for since by the Fureys. I was gratified to find the picture below on my last pass through the boxes of photographs. When I had perused them previously, it hadn't registered - I didn't know then that the Fureys had done their magic on the wagon. So, when I found the shot below, I was glad to scan it and clean it up because it shows just how much work went into refurbishing the wagon.

I've loved this picture of the Wernet farmhouse since the first time I came across it. I don't know who took it, perhaps Michael or Paul, or when - Uncle Arthur was still living there. In any case, whoever took it did an excellent job. Someone's first impression might be that the house could use a new coat of paint, if nothing else, but I like it this way. You might imagine touching the wall as you go in the kitchen door and finding powdered paint on your fingertips and, in truth, it might have been that way. But the look of the house in this portrait (you might say landscape, I say portrait) is considerably softened, very much in line with the slowly fading memories generated here. I know mother saw it the same way. She used an earlier scan of this picture as her desktop wallpaper for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment