Friday, August 9, 2013

St Philip Neri, Dungannon

I've been trying to do too much, though you'd not know it from either my progress or my output. The pictures in today's post - and tomorrow's - were reclaimed nearly 2 weeks ago. I had intended to post them then, but got sidetracked by one thing and another. I did finish the book I was reading, and got caught up on the TV series "Suits". And I made contact with the Idaho State Archives, which I hope will bear genealogical fruit in the near term. But let's now take care of business closer to home.

In my post, The Brinkeys of Dungannon, I stated that Lewis Brinkey and Walburga Pfeffer were married in St. Philip Neri Catholic Church, the oldest Catholic church in Ohio. Now I have to correct that. The marriage was in St. Philip Neri, but what I should have said was "the oldest Catholic parish in northeastern Ohio". The mistake was entirely mine; I wasn't trying to mislead anyone, I just misremembered the facts and neglected to check them. This post presents a few pictures of St. Philip's and a little of the parish's history, derived from a 1992 brochure of its 175th anniversary.


Notice the height of the fir tree at the left front of the church in both these first two pictures. In my last few passes past the church, the trees effectively obscured any really good views. I'll check again on my next visit and perhaps find a good one still.

The parish was established in 1817, consisting of approximately 15 families. The first Mass was said in a log cabin, about a mile southeast of the present church, belonging to Daniel McAllister. It was used for the next three years as the parish grew, then outgrew the accommodations. In 1820, a small brick church was built next to the cabin and dedicated to St. Paul, and the adjacent cemetery still bears that name. With the population and the parish continuing to grow, an acre of land for a new church was donated by Philip Erhardt and, in 1849, the new church was named St. Philip Neri in Mr. Ehrhardt's honor.

In 1966, the church bought the land adjoining St. Paul's Cemetery on which stood Daniel McAlester's cabin, in which the first Mass was said. The pastor and other men of the parish dismantled the cabin and rebuilt it on the grounds of St. Philip Neri. The original Hipplewhite bureau, which had served as an altar in the cabin was donated by one of Daniel McAllister's cousins and returned to the cabin in 1947, where it is on display.

I'll check the maps and see if on my next visit I can duplicate the view above, which is excellent. I suspect, however, that the trees will have taken care of that view too. . . but you can never tell. . .

10 comments:

  1. Hi wfparker,
    I am writing from Columbiana County, Ohio and am very interested in the pictures you have posted of the church in Dungannon. I have seen the last one before, but would like to know where I could get a copy... any idea where you got it?

    Thanks, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,

      All three photos were among my mother's collection of family pictures, many of which I scanned and "cleaned up". The third was mounted on cardboard (which had been chipped over the years). I suspect, if you've seen it before, that it was probably a memento of some parish anniversary. I checked my scan and doubt I can improve on it. You're more than welcome to save a copy of the large version and have a print made. (Click on the image above for the large version.)

      Bill

      Delete
  2. Thanks! They are great! I bookmarked your blog, I really like it. If you need any local pics, let me know and I can go take them for you.
    kellydarney@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill,
    It's Kelly again! I am working on a book to be published in Fall, 2015 for the 200th anniversary of the church. I was wondering if you had any old pictures or documents that I could use and, of course, put as donated by your mother and you. Let me know, I have already gathered quite a few but would like a few more. Maybe a wedding photo or baptism or the like? Let me know and thanks !
    KellyDarney@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. Sent an email to your address above.

      Delete
  4. I am interested in any info you have or book you publish. My great grandfather was a member. he died at 100 in 1966. My grandparents were married in this church. My great grandfather was william haessley. my email is mkfralish@gmail.com i will look for any pictures i may have

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe my great great great grandfather I
    May be buried there! I would also be interested in any such history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you let me know who he is, I will be happy to go out and take a look for you. I can take a photo. I might even have some history for you.

    ReplyDelete