Saturday, April 19, 2014

99 Bluebonnet, Recall, Recall

If I were still aboard the aircraft carrier, working Marshal following a big launch, and some detail went awry forcing us to cancel the mission, I'd broadcast on UHF and VHF Guard (emergency frequencies), "99 Riptide, recall, recall". That should prompt everyone we just launched to return to the ship and check in with the Marshal controller for instructions. After driving 205 mi I hadn't seen enough bluebonnets on my chosen route to slow down, let alone stop and take pictures. So I quit. North of Vanderpool, approaching US 83, I reset my GPS to take me home. I've had it. The bluebonnets are really going to have to show me something special before I do this again. I've got a return trip to Utah planned for next month and refuse to get bogged down any more, chasing ungrateful flowers. . . my dogwoods in Georgia never treated me this way. . .

This view looking south, just over 5 mi south of Luckenbach on FM 1376 and the sky still colored by the sunrise, is starting the descent into the valley of the Guadalupe River. Before I got to the river, I turned west and headed for Comfort, then raced up I-10 to Kerrville, then south again to Medina.


These two shots (above and below) were both on TX 337 east of Vanderpool, looking east towards Anderson Hollow, Tatum Lake, and Medina. It's not a zoom lens trick, however; they were taken about 8 minutes (and however many miles that equates to) apart, but you can see by the alignment that all the significant curves in this stretch of road are up and down. But what really impresses me in both these shots is what the Guadalupe River has done to the Edwards (?) Plateau over the course of millions of years. Who woulda thunk it?


This shot was taken looking west (from the same stop as the first shot of the valley, above) and its only purpose is to show what a fine day this was for a nice drive (irrespective of the paucity of bluebonnets). But just think how great this view would be if there were some blue flowers blanketing both sides of the highway. . .

I was still on task at this point, though I think the idea of cancelling the rest of the tour had crept into my mind by this time. When I saw this gate for the Menagerie Ranch, with the scrap iron Tyrannosaurus Rex sculpture, I thought, "There are still going to be things to take pictures of." About six miles down the road (TX 39) there was another, fairly elaborate, ranch gate. Two flag poles (a US and Texas flag), stone work. . . the fact that the Texas flag was upside down was just really annoying.  Now, maybe the Comanches or remnants of Santa Ana's army had captured the ranch, but I didn't consider that. Screw it. I'm not even going to turn around to take a picture of the flags. I'm goin' home.

The annual Orange and White football game is Saturday. I WON'T be out looking for bluebonnets. We're all anxious to see what Charlie Strong has done with the 'Horns thus far. It's only been three months but video reports on the Spring practices show an impressive amount of energy being expended. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment