Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Back Yard. . . Undisclosed Location

I got my taxes done today, so I adjudge it to have been a successful day. On the other hand, the hardware store in my neighborhood closed up shop and, since my taxes were yet to be done, I elected not to go to Home Depot or Lowes. I dislike them as much as I like small hardware stores. I'll go tomorrow and get what I wanted. . . but I won't enjoy it.

My daughter-in-law, Amy, visited for a few days this week from Australia. Her visit occasioned a barbeque of sorts and siblings and in-laws from San Antonio and Arlington converged for this minor but quality gathering. It had been in the mid-80s when Amy flew in, but we had a frontal passage overnight and the temps plummeted. So, while Richard flipped burgers, nobody thought staying outside was much of an idea. (That's why I said, "a barbeque of sorts".)

I wanted to try out a few things camera-wise, so I did some quick shots in someone's back yard, but I told Karen I wouldn't tell whose. I wasn't crazy over the results as they came out of the camera, but I thought I might be able to spiff them up a bit in Photoshop. I'm developing a few new techniques as I go along so the effect on these shots is certainly similar, but not identical.

Mother's irises came back in a big way this year. She would have loved them. Whomever's back yard this is, it sure is a good place to remember Mom. I noticed some twigs on the patio that wouldn't have been there if Mom was close at hand. If she was outside, she was busy; if she was busy, she was happy.

I love the Japanese maple here. . . no, we're not in Japan. If it had been warmer I might have stayed long enough to get all of the included maple in focus and the background out. Perhaps next time.


On Friday, Amy and I rode around in the Hill Country in search of bluebonnets, but the trip was a bust. The wildflowers in Austin were more profuse than what we came across on our drive. Of course, that's what raised my expectations in the first place. They're beautiful out on US 183 east of the city. Amy's moved on, but I haven't given up on them. I'm still going on my day long wildflower drive - that's sort of like a cattle drive, only more botanical and less zoological. Anyway, in this set, it's more about the Photoshopping than the Undisclosed Location.

No comments:

Post a Comment