Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Strange Behaviors. . .

Just what constitutes "strange" behaviors? Some behavior might be considered strange simply because you didn't expect it from a particular person. In other cases, you might be similarly surprised by anyone doing the same thing. Something might be considered strange because an easily explained or otherwise mundane action suggests something else which really would be strange. Or something might be straightforward enough but our perception of it might be somehow affected, rendering it strange. Let's review some examples. . .

Here we have Maureen and Cathie on the couch observing Lauren demonstrating a new skill she'd discovered. I think she correctly surmised that none of her aunts or uncles would be able to do it, making it special. What makes it "strange" to me is the "redeye" photo artifact that suggests that perhaps she's possessed. That would indeed be "strange".


This one surprised me because typically, I have to work for my pictures of Maureen who, over the years, has become increasingly adept at foiling my photographic efforts. In this case, however, she knew I had my camera and performed her magic trick anyway. So this qualifies - for Maureen - as "strange" behavior.


I asked Natalie to swim underwater for me on her back because I wanted a picture of her in her environment. The surface of the water renders variable optic effects that might be considered "strange". But let me tell you, this kid owns the pool! She swims for her club and for her high school team as well, like her brother before her. The extraordinary effort she puts into her swimming boggles my mind - and she's been doing it for years! That in itself makes it "strange" behavior in my book.


In this picture of Paul, taken Christmas morning several years ago, the pose he struck and his "headdress" immediately suggested to me a bemused young pharaoh, a budding King Tut. We don't often spend our Christmas mornings with Tutankhamun, so this can be considered "strange".


This picture of Mother and Karen in a canoe on Inks Lake didn't strike me as strange until I started wondering where Mother's life jacket was. Being a non-swimmer, the fact that she'd go out in a canoe with Karen - or anyone else - without a life jacket strikes me as exceedingly "strange". That she looks perfectly at ease in this picture is incredible to me!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is your best post yet! You obviously did some DEEP thinking on the myriad possibilities and permutations of the meaning of the term "strange." Not only that, you came up with a GREAT idea of how to make otherwise unrelated photos work extremely well together in a theme. More, more!

    ReplyDelete