Friday, October 11, 2013

OBX, The Drive - Part A

I took a few days "off" to work the photographs and decide which ones will make the remaining posts. After all, the trip was three weeks long. . . there's a lot of pictures.

When I was planning the trip, I was thrilled to find there was another lighthouse on the Outer Banks that I hadn't even known about before. This one is the Currituck Beach Light (details in a separate post). The restoration was very well done. My only problem is that it's in a built up area and surrounded by pines, which makes it difficult to get any stand-off distance for a typical landscape shot. But what you can get is great.

I stopped briefly at Kitty Hawk - and got to use my new National Parks Senior Pass. The monument on the left is atop Kill Devil Hill. There's a life-sized sculpture group, donated by the State of North Carolina in 2003 for the Centennial of Flight celebration, depicting the first flight. But I didn't know about it ahead of time or notice it once I was on the scene. (It wasn't anywhere near the parking lots I drove through.) Left of the view above is a museum/store building; to the right (about 90°) are the hanger and shed replicas of those the Wrights used in 1903.


The last time I was out here, Pat and I didn't bother to stop as Bodie Island Light was shrouded in scaffolding. The renovation must have gone well, because the lighthouse looks brand new. Beautiful!

When I got to the Cape, I wanted to scout out where I'd be taking pictures at sunrise the following morning. You might recognize this as the same spot I picked in 2010. The jetty, and its effect on the wave action is evident, and one of the main reasons I chose this spot.

The location of the picture of the jetty is within yards of the lighthouse's old location. In September, 1999, they moved it inland about half a mile to escape the dangers of beach erosion.


I continued scouting south of the lighthouse. I'm not sure exactly what this is, considering the fact that it's about the size of my pickup. If it was the size of a small easy chair, I might have guessed tumbleweed. . .
My southerly scout ended when the road turned into a few sand tracks, clearly marked for 4wd vehicles.

Headed back to my motel in Buxton, a stand-off view of Cape Hatteras Light cheers my little heart. The plan is to take the ferry to Ocracoke, have dinner there and see what pictures I can take in the westering sunlight. Then I'll return to Hatteras to sleep and be close at hand for my sunrise shoot on the morrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment