Saturday, October 12, 2013

OBX, The Drive - Part B

Referring to yesterday's post, each of these photographs was taken the same evening running back and forth between Hatteras and Ocracoke. The following morning I made the ferry trip again to catch the 10 o'clock Ocracoke to Cedar Island ferry.

I'm not sure how many ferries they have on the "free run" between Hatteras and Ocracoke, but all three of my runs were on the Chicamacomico.

I had really looked forward to shooting (pictures of) the seagulls and pelicans on the ferry trips. There was only one problem with that. . . there weren't any birds within range. I don't believe I've ever seen a ferry that didn't trail seagulls for half a mile or more. I felt cheated, somehow. I had to settle for a shot of these four fishing boats returning to Hatteras as though someone had sounded a dinner bell.

Sure, Croatoan has her seagulls, but where are the ones assigned to Chicamacomico? Not only were the seagulls missing from the ferries (all but Croatoan), there seemed to be a widespread dearth of avian activity ashore as well. That included the two and a half hour ride the following day to Cedar Island. What's going on?

I checked in at the harbor and made reservations for the 10 o'clock ferry in the morning. It being September, rather than July or August, there were few sailboats at anchor. You think they took the birds with them when they left? Nah. . . probably not.

After dinner in the village, I searched high and low for shots of the lighthouse and the harbor, then I stopped at the beach access just north to shoot the sunset. If I was going to shoot the sunrise at Hatteras, it seemed only fair to shoot sunset at Ocracoke.





No comments:

Post a Comment