Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sunset, Ocracoke Island

I guess I could have stayed in the village and tried to shoot the sunset from there, but with the nearly empty harbor and dearth of places to set up a spot to shoot from, I repaired to the beach access boardwalk just north of the Ocracoke airport and concentrated on the changing light.

I was blessed this evening with a terrific sky, full of clouds. . .

. . . and the dunes towered over the boardwalk in places. I could get these low angles easily.

You spend this time constantly taking pictures. You know the sky's "pretty" but, when you're done, you want to be able to go through a number of shots for comparison and choose the "prettiest". I love this one with the boardwalk snaking across the shadows in the bottom of the shot while the sky stands out, big and bright.

The clouds are scudding by and the light's changing more quickly with each passing moment. You don't have to move around much to get an album full of shots.

But sometimes, when you've been twisting left and right on a bench, it pays to get up and turn all the way around for shots with a completely different look.

Time to head back to Hatteras; I snapped one last shot from the parking lot with NC12 in the foreground.

When I got to the landing, I found myself in line, waiting for the free ferry between Ocracoke and Hatteras. I hadn't put up my camera yet, so I got another "one last shot". . . this time of the ferry at dusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment