Thursday, April 6, 2017

Gillespie County Search

I was hoping for a smooth transition from yesterday's post, but I think smooth transitions can be overrated, don't you?

I think this image is a holdover from yesterday's Mason County batch. I never recognized the ranches along  US-87 that I was looking for that proved so scenic on drives past. I'm guessing I ought to make a concerted effort to find them one last time - and copy down the GPS coordinates!

This shot is of Polander Creek taken from Gypsum Mine Road. That's the secret road I use to bypass Fredericksburg and join County Rd 965 south of Enchanted Rock. I take it past The Rock and turn south on TX-16 about 4 mi to the north end of the Willow City Loop.

The Willow City Loop has some nice visual surprises but the road itself tends to narrow whenever you encounter one - and the "gawkers" are out (as opposed to us serious photographers) so there are few places to pull off and safely take a picture or two. My best guess for this one is the South Branch of Coal Creek.

Sometimes, crossing a creek in Texas - especially one with water in it - makes it difficult to remember you're on a Bluebonnet reconnaissance. In this case, I remembered on my way back to the car. I didn't see vast fields of blue through the rest of the loop or on FM1323 as I cut over to US-281, just occasional patches. But I was about spent and ready to head home. It's been a pleasant drive.

I'm hoping to get another in to see how long these wildflowers tend to stick around. It's been 18 days since I took this drive, but I think they should still be brightening up the highways and by-ways for awhile. If not, dogwoods and azaleas from The Masters will help me get on with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment