Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Llano and Mason Counties Love Their Bluebonnets

I passed this area heading to White Sands and again driving home from the Big Bend the week before this Bluebonnet Reconnaissance - on consecutive days I might remind you - and the difference in the two drive-bys made all the difference in the world wildflower-wise. I got home from the sand and rocks jazzed about 2017's crop of Bluebonnets. I toiled on the sand and rocks posts made much harder by the promise of the wildflowers I barely saw in the dim dusk the week before.

I saw a lot to shoot along the fairly rugged but thoroughly enjoyable Park Road 4, but I was heartened by the enthusiasm of the Bluebonnets and Paintbrush in Llano and Mason Counties. The week before I hewed to TX-29 on the way home but on this run I turned northwest after Llano towards Brady. About half-way, at Fredonia, I cut southwest and breezed into Mason from the north.

Not too far southeast of Mason on US-87, the Fredericksburg Highway,  I found some nice stretches of flowers on the right-of-way. I kept my eyes peeled for a couple of ranches that showed very well in earlier years, but I didn't find them on this trip.

I should mention too that I remember the route I took on this drive, but I've given up trying to identify exactly where each image was shot. It's not really important in the grand scheme of things and just reminds me that my memory doesn't perform at, shall we say, historic levels.

Whichever highway this pull-off happens to call home, that's my new Santa Fe being introduced to the local flora. So far as I can tell, they get along fine.

All this picture needs is a wagon wheel, an old cowboy boot, and maybe a saddle to go with the Bluebonnets, cactus, and bob-wahr fence. That fence seems to boast a surfeit of strands. . . and what ever happened to "i before e, except after c" in that "surfeit" of strands, one might ask.

xxx     <<<<   I think I had intended to write something there. If that was the case, I'm sorry but that ship has sailed. It probably wasn't important anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment