Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Texas Park Road 4, Burnet County

Sand, rocks, and cactus are okay (and a Texan can't hardly escape them), but I prefer them to be softened visually with at least an occasional tree or two (and hopefully lots more). Thankfully, we can generally count on the annual arrival of Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush, and a host of other wildflower cousins in varying numbers throughout the warmer months. My first encounter with huge blue and red (as well as yellow) pastures as far as the eye could see was in the Spring of 1968 when I was hitchhiking from NAS Kingsville in south Texas to Austin in the Hill Country where my family was living. I was 19 and very impressionable. I still look for them every Spring. Some years I'm disappointed and others I'm blown away. But just looking, and appreciating, is generally enough.

Park Road 4, the access to Inks Lake State Park and Longhorn Cavern, is always the first place I check on my annual Bluebonnet Reconnaissance Missions. In heavy years it can leave you open mouthed and in lighter years you'll always find some - and with enough other visual treats to make the drive enjoyable.

I like to leave Austin early to get to Burnet about sunrise. It makes for a long day, but the morning sun and shaded flowers covering much of the area are a great combination. This section of road is north of the State Park entrance, immediately after turning off TX-29.

 This shot was taken in the same general area, north of the entrance.

Passing the park entrance and around a few hilly curves, you'll come to a section of Inks Lake near the dam at the southwest end. I often encounter ducks of various types here but I believe this was the first time I met any Canada geese here.

The photographer can appreciate both sides of the road here. On the hill across the road from the lake view you can usually find some shade and, if I ever took the time to sit and observe the area for awhile, who knows what other denizens might share the hillside.

A bit farther down the road, past the turnoff to Kingsland where the road turns east towards Longhorn Cavern, about halfway up the hill there's a beautiful overlook and picnic area with this grand view of the area encompassed by Llano, Mason, Fredericksburg, and Johnson City. Your sight line should be Kingsland (7 mi), about the middle of the picture where the Llano R joins the Colorado R. and beyond that past the hills/mountains (10-20 mi), unnamed as far as I can tell but surely referenced by the locals as something Google Maps has yet to discover. Now, if you follow that line another 10 mi, you can barely make out on the very hazy horizon. . . Enchanted Rock, [Last picture and last paragraph of the post.] which is much more impressive the closer you get. Another post or two should do us both for 2017 Bluebonnets. Have a wonderful Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment