Sunday, December 10, 2017

Exploring Greater Austin - Brushy Creek

I'm always looking for new places in and around Austin to shoot and typically I find them somewhere around the Hill Country's Colorado River or Lake Travis. It's not hard to figure out - I look for places that include water. This time though, I looked north - away from the River and east - away from L Travis. Who woulda thunk it?

Just over 4 mi north (of my cave), Brushy Creek flows West to East and eventually joins with the San Gabriel River almost 50 mi from here, more than half-way to Hearne. As it turns out, there are several small parks along the Creek as it moves slowly through various Round Rock neighborhoods. Each has its strong point, but Champion Park wins in my book for "Accessible Wilderness".

Each of these pictures was shot in one small corner of Champion Park where a spur of the Brushy Creek Regional Trail crosses a bridge to the south side of the Creek.

This bridge is one of those places I'll return to, checking out how the light at different times of the day changes the nature of this handsome greenbelt.

It's definitely a natural area, and has more water flowing by - however slowly - than most of the creeks I've found around here. That's enough to give it the prize.

Though these images don't show it, I managed to find Round Rock's titular icon - THE Round Rock - on this expedition. The state historical marker says the table shaped "Round Rock" marked the ford across Brushy Creek for Indians and early pioneers on what would become the Chisholm Trail.


No comments:

Post a Comment