Monday, December 11, 2017

Exploring Greater Austin - Georgetown's San Gabriel River Park

As in yesterday's post, I spent most of December 1st on an inspection tour of watercourses to the North of my usual haunts. After Brushy Creek, I headed to Georgetown to see what I could see along the San Gabriel River.

I didn't need to go any farther than the San Gabriel River Park on the north side of town. I shouldn't be surprised that Georgetown would have such a lovely park; everything I've ever heard about this place has been positive. 

Towns all through central Texas tout their history, but by my lights Georgetown has foot up on the others by emphasizing its assets better than most - the architecture in their downtown Historic District, and their geography.

It took this to be a large park on the River's north bank with concentrations of baseball/softball fields on the edge away from the River but, when I zoomed out on Google Maps, I saw the South side, just opposite, had even more ball fields, and soccer fields as well. I don't know whether both banks actually share the Park's name or not.

But I'm here to make photographs, so the baseball and soccer fields aren't my draw. And this isn't one of the wilderness areas you know I appreciate. I just think whoever designed this park was at the top of his game and well supported by the people of Georgetown. And, of course, you can't beat perfect weather.

 I was jazzed the day I shot here. In and out of the car at smaller parks along Brushy Creek and wandering farther from the car than has been typical for me; now here on the San Gabriel, I was just starting to run out of steam. It was still fine, but getting warmer and I took some time to just stake out some space on a park bench appreciate my surroundings.

I didn't put down my camera though. Each of these last three pictures was taken from said bench. And after my surcease, I checked out a few more likely places I'd identified along the river so there are a few more pictures for a post tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment