Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Not Quite Ready to Leave the Park

I'm afraid I got a little ahead of myself yesterday, ready to move on down river. Instead, let me continue with a few more images from the San Gabriel River Park in Georgetown. . . then move on downstream.

As I started to leave the Park, I noticed a low, concrete foot bridge across the river just below the dam. I parked, and took a stroll across with camera in hand. With no really "grand views", I started shooting details. . . whatever might make a good photograph. Like cool, clear water over a limestone river bed.

I did look up occasionally though. I wondered what these plants were called that reminded me of cattails, but clearly were not. A cursory review of Google images provided two possibilities: Pampas Grass and, the one I decided on as my interest in the problem waned, the Common Reed (Phragmites Australis). You learn something new every day. . . but remember, what you learn isn't necessarily correct.

When I turned away from the reeds to shoot back towards the Park, I focused immediately on that item center-frame that appeared to be escaping in the stream. The first thing that flashed in my mind was a big snapping turtle (I had just seen Cool Hand Luke last week), then, a gator? Those thoughts moved through pretty quick, then I realized whatever it was hadn't moved. . . Rock.

I got back in my car to follow the river East, looking around from where I sat. Do you notice anything peculiar about the College Street bridge in the picture above? When was the last time you saw a city bridge supported by Gothic arches? I told you, Georgetown is at least a step above the others.

Okay, now we've followed the river east into the rural farmlands off Texas 29 between Georgetown and  Jonah. If you've got your fishing pole and some bait you may want to turn off onto County Road 100 and make your way beneath the bridge on the North bank of the San Gabriel. Plenty of shade and a pleasant place to spend an hour or two.

The low bridge I crossed (we call 'em "low-water crossings") to get over here beneath the Texas 29 bridge, was temporarily occupied by a fisherman (parked right there on the crossing) and a father with two young boys who were feeding bread to the several ducks that were loath to pass up such an opportunity. After shooting here for a few minutes, the knot of people on the low-water crossing had cleared out and I could take a short hike over there and see what I could find. But you'll have to wait for tomorrow's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment