Sunday, June 10, 2018

Day Nine - Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve

Great Sand Dunes NP and Preserve hasn't got an awful lot of infrastructure to take care of - a Visitor Center, Campsites, parking areas, and privies - and yeah, a huge sand box. A satellite view shows a semicircle of sand 7.5 mi north to south embraced by two creeks, Medano on the east and Sand on the northwest. The creeks - at least Medano Creek seems to come and go of its own volition as far as I can tell, but I haven't found a very good written description, though there are plenty of pictures of families playing in the cool, clear, shallow creek.

I didn't stick around very long - got my pictures and got out - but that should not be taken as a poor recommendation on either the park or dunes, which are impressive. It's not the greatest thing you'll ever see but, if you're ever close, take the time to let the amazement wash over you. There's really not a lot left to say, so I'll cease and desist and let you consider the dune photographs on your own.

This dearth of commentary is really humiliating and I find it inexplicable. The exigencies of finishing these last couple posts, I suppose. There will be one more post tomorrow to close out my 2018 California Roadtrip.  Enjoy the pics.
















No comments:

Post a Comment