Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hook 'Em


Well, This has been a fine weekend. I've been trying to work out a recovery plan for my computer ills and, to show you how vexed I was about it, I passed up a chance to go down to Ellen's in San Antonio with Stephen to watch football. First of all, I found a small program on the 'Net that fixed my file access problems. Then, I found a line I'd saved a few years ago in my computer notes that suggested a way to install Picture Publisher 10 on Windows 7 - and it worked like a charm! Then I found upgrades for my photo management program and my voice recognition software. So I've got my files and my programs now, and life is good.

While I was doing all that, I was sneaking peeks at the Conference USA Championship game as the East Carolina University Pirates beat up on the Houston Cougars. One of the signs in the stands brandished by a Pirates fan had an arrow pointing at his friend standing next to him. It said:
"The only Cougar I like is his mom!"

Then came the football highlight of the day - which almost matched my computer maintenance successes. That would be watching 'Bama dismantle Florida in the SEC Championship game. Of course, watching that game I kept hearing the whispered warning, "Be careful what you wish for." Alabama was awesome.

And finally, there was the Big XII Championship in the Cowboys new stadium in Arlington - known variously as "Jerry's Place", "The House that Jerry Built", or - Stephen's favorite - "The Boar's Nest" (or is that "The Bore's Nest"?) The Longhorns didn't impress anyone - till possibly the last minute and a half. When the clock hit 00:00 (the second time) Hunter Lawrence had kicked a last second field goal and Texas won - by a point.


HOOK 'EM
*****
If there are any sailors out there, they should recognize the signal flags at the top of the post as 
WHISKEY PAPA.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Bill. Thanks for the note on the signal flags, for us civilians. Very cool.

    Did you take the shot of the tower the other night, or is it one you already had? It's a great shot, but in another month, maybe you'll have a new one with "1"'s down the sides.

    I prefer to blissfully maintain that we were just lulling Alabama into a false sense of security in our performance against Nebraska. And, if Saban's boys are anything like the national media, it's working, in a big way. Hook 'em, 'Horns.

    ReplyDelete