Saturday, May 15, 2010

Telluride At Last! Sorta. . .

Finally made it to Telluride! Well, almost. This first shot is looking east from CO 145, looking up the valley towards the town, a mile or two up the road and hidden at the base of the mountains. Long and narrow, like the valley itself, the town's about ten streets wide and about three times longer, and bounded on its southern edge by the San Miguel River.

The town reminded me of Mainstreet, USA at Disneyland, as much as anything. Neat, clean, well kept. If I were a shopper, it's the kind of place I wouldn't mind spending the day wandering in and out of stores. It was, in a word, inviting.

Another shot, a hundred feet or so up the road from the previous one. This one highlights the San Miguel River, meandering back and forth across the valley floor. You'll find out sooner or later, so I may as well confess. . . after all the build-up, I didn't get any shots of the town itself. On my sole trip up and back down Main Street, I was keeping a lookout for pedestrians, which seemed prudent in light of their number, and avoiding the large volume of vehicular traffic, which moved slowly but steadily through town.

Here, you can see the western edge of town as I approached. Alongside the rode, hidden by those bushes at the center of the picture, was the local sherrif in his Jeep, whose presence there slowed the incoming traffic right down. Very effective. Like I said in the first of these posts, I'd give the town of Telluride an "A" or even "A+".

This one was taken looking south from Airport Road and shows a few of the chalets and such for the skiing public. I must admit, I didn't see anything like the ski runs I saw years ago in Red River, NM. But I trust they're around somewhere; this place is way too cool to be a hoax.

No comments:

Post a Comment