Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Zoetropes and Skylines

I've noticed this many times before, but just never connected the dots I guess. I'd be driving along with my head on a swivel, snatching quick glimpses at the scenery, anxious not to miss that one picture that would make the drive worthwhile. Something would catch my eye and I'd pull off the road and climb out with my camera, only to find there's no clear shot of what had caught my attention - even after walking back up the road. The flickering of those glimpses out the side windows reminded me this time of a zoetrope and, when I thought about it, I realized how much the effect added to the pleasure of the drive - even when I couldn't manage a clear shot from the side of the road. I call the picture above: Through The Aspen Wall.

This image made me think of an infantry unit trudging up a hill. The troops in general seem to be in much better shape than their bedraggled leader on the far right. I guess it's the stress of command. I also noted it's careless of them to skyline themselves like that - clear targets for any photographer with a large caliber Canon. . .

Nothing much to say about this one except that so often, trees photographed against the sky are in silhouette. In this case, however, the silver trees in crisp detail against the deep blue sky are almost a negative image of a silhouette. Cool! N'est ce que pas?

No comments:

Post a Comment