Friday, November 5, 2010

A Fog on the Marsh - I

Up early again this morning, but this time it's really different. In all the times I've visited since Tony and Donna moved here, I've never seen it foggy like this. If serenity rules the marsh on a "normal" day, it becomes absolutely ethereal in the mist.

In such a small geographical area (the back yard and dock) there are only so many photo opportunities available in a given session. In this case, the fog itself further limited what I could shoot from the dock. It struck me that each shot this morning seems to match a previous shot I'd taken under clear blue skies. Maybe I'll do a post on comparative views sometime.

I love the trees in the background just fading out in all of these, but as interesting to me in the one above is the complex reflection of the dock on the surface of the water.

I'm not sure exactly what it is about this one. It may be the diagonal line of the dock and the area of marsh grass in the left middle ground. It would have been better if the lower curve of the marsh grass was parallel to the curve of the banister but. . . maybe I'll "fix" it. Yeah, I think I can do that. . .


In the picture above, the only trace of "real" color is in the flag at left and the canvas on the nearby boat. Overall, in both these two pictures, I like the way all the solids seem to be floating across the middle of the picture in the gray. The interesting contrast here - again, in addition to tonal contrasts - is the way the trees fade to gray in the upper half of the pictures and the sweetgrass reflections change to the sky's reflection with sharp, clearly defined edges.




No comments:

Post a Comment