Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cow Creek, Travis/Burnet Co, TX

I suppose I should've looked at the pictures on the "big" Canon before promising to post another set today. They're not bad but, as I am currently focused on the effects of a camera's relatively small dynamic range (i.e., impenetrable shadows and "blown out" skies), they're just not really something to shout about. In any case, here they are; I'll try to keep the commentary brief.


This is near the beginning of Cow Creek Rd, just off FM 1431, looking South. I caught some clouds in this shot, but more interesting (to me, at least) is the sand on the road. It reminded me that last week Cow Creek was in flood. Perhaps I should've been taking pictures last week.

This shot was taken at the same place; I just about-faced and shot north. The sky was blown out in some of the other frames, depending on where I zoomed and how I composed the shots.

This green wall, covering the limestone escarpment, had nice contrast with old foliage and new growth.

 
These next shots are Cow Creek near one of the low water crossings. The point of interest being flowing water! Yeah, I know. Here in Texas!

I've been thinking about the different emphasis placed on water in places I've lived where it's plentiful (North Carolina and Georgia, for example), and here in Texas where it's less so. And don't get me started about New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. Water, almost any water, makes me happy.


And it doesn't even have to be liquid. Water in the atmosphere makes the photographer in me happy.


Here's the approach to that low water crossing I showed before the clouds distracted me.

In the previous post, which was all about my search for HDR images, I stopped to shoot the sunset on a ridge with a western aspect. Without the HDR, you can record some images worth saving, but their primary feature is almost always simplicity.


Part of my mission yesterday was Bluebonnet Reconnaissance. I had expected to see more than I did along Cow Creek but, as I approached FM 1431 on the way home, I found they were probably "just over the hill" the whole time. I may be very busy next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment