Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Texas 71 -- Between Llano and Fredonia

Most of the pictures in this post are pretty straightforward; they celebrate being "on the road again" as Willie might style it. The morning sun speaks to the prospect of a good day's drive. This section of the trip lies along Texas Highway 71 between Llano and Freedonia. I stopped at one of the ubiquitous historical markers along the way and learned that Valley Spring (est. in 1878) combined the towns of Whistleville and Bugscuffle, which had grown up after O C J Phillips first settled there in 1853. It was also the birthplace of James Field Smathers (1888-1967), inventor of the electric typewriter.

I like everything about this picture except the telephone pole and the lines strung behind the Mesquite trees. It's like hearing a song on the radio that you haven't heard or 30 or 40 years; it just makes you feel good.

The warm glow of the sun and the shadows reaching across the highway are rewards for getting out of the house before the sunrise.

This is as fine an example of a Mesquite as you'll ever come across. I could have framed it a little bit better, but I couldn't have made it any prettier. I'd never thought much of Mesquite before this past week. I studied up on it (to make sure I had correctly identified it) and came away much more respectful.

I was glad to include this straight section of highway when I compose this shot. The flowers, of course, are the main focus, but this highway heads to San Angelo; it makes me think of Kim and Robert on their ranch.

Another good thing about shooting so early in the morning it's that there's seldom much of a breeze, so your subjects stand still for you. I love the sharp focus and even distribution of the bluebonnets in this shot.

 And, just when you wonder where the paintbrushes are, you find a few right where you want them.

I'm not exactly sure what we've got here, other than the bluebonnets. Black-eyed Susans perhaps? And what are those things that are hanging, like tiny strawberries? Again, with no wind, everything is still and every detail is crisp.

Mother and I decided we like our bluebonnets growing from the verge of the road and up, over a bank. Some big rocks or a stand of prickly pear are appropriate there also. I think a coyote staring down at you would add some drama. Even a rattlesnake, coiled up at the base of the bank, wouldn't be out of place. But the picture works even without the fauna.

I like this big oak tree on the bank. A similar one we encountered last week reminded mother that her father, Austin, always used to keep an eye out for a good shade tree next to the road where he could rest his team of horses. He'd unhitch them, figuring they could rest for 20 minutes or so and still get home before anyone came looking for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment