Saturday, April 14, 2012

Gypsum Mine Rd & FM 965 -- To Enchanted Rock

The GPS marked my turn off the highway at Cherry Mountain Loop, and I was immediately in terra incognita - well, it's not terra incognita to Google Maps, but it was definitely off the beaten track. Other than the ranches, a number of old cemeteries, and a gypsum mine, there wasn't much to see on my shortcut to Enchanted Rock. I was surprised, however, by wild turkey on the roadside trying to figure out how to get to the other side of a fence. I wanted to yell, "DUCK". It should have been obvious; it wasn't much of a fence. But as soon as the idea crossed my mind, an unbidden image had me chuckling to myself: the turkey looked up from studying the fence and said, "No, Turkey." By then, I was past the bird without a picture and with no interest in turning around to get one.

Google Maps identifies this as Polander Creek, and I have no reason to think otherwise. No one in the area seemed particularly interested in signs, save for the genealogists who marked the way to the several cemeteries and the mine operators who plastered the blasting area with warnings.

That 5 or 6 mile shortcut east really changed the nature of the geography. I found a place to stop on the side of the road, approaching Enchanted Rock from the south, and got out to shoot. But I'm perplexed. The pink granite outcropping on the left edge now seems to suggest the opportunity for a panorama. I have no earthly idea why I pointed the camera down the road if  "the Rock" had been visible on the left. I may need to return to that spot and see whether or not there's a panorama to be had.

The State Parks and Wildlife folks tell us that "the Rock is a huge, pink granite exfoliation dome, that rises 425 feet above ground, 1825 feet above sea level, and covers 640 acres. It is one of the largest batholiths (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion) in the United States." It goes on to say that the Tonkawa Indians in the area were freaked out by the noises made when the Rock, heated during the day, contracted when it cooled quickly at night. The idea that the place was enchanted should not be a surprise.

When I was younger and considerably more fit, I did make the trek to the top, probably with Sally and David. Never one for more than my share of exercise, however, I'm sure I appreciated the view and then muttered under my breath, "Once is enough."


This bank (above and below), was across the road from where I shot "the Rock". Both are pleasant enough compositions and show interesting details of the hillside. I'll have to go back and check, but these may be the only pictures from the trip that didn't include any bluebonnets.



By this time it had been a long day and I was running out of steam. A few more shots and more flowers than anyone needs. . .        I'm sorry, it's clearly time to hook 'em back to Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment