Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Some Brinkey Portraits. . .

I'm going to take a couple days and restore portraits of the Brinkeys, the family you met in my previous post. I'm also trying to get some information from someone online about one of my great great uncles who served in two different regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. I saw a reference to him in a blog the other night and I'd like to see some documentation since it would support a suspicion I had. Anyway, back to the Brinkeys.

This is my grandmother, Bertha, then about six years old, standing with her grandmother, Walburga Pfeffer Brinkey (1818-1896). When her grandfather, Lewis, died in 1886 Bertha was about four years old. Shortly thereafter, she started spending each night at her grandmother's house nearby and they became very close, an arrangement which lasted until Walburga's death.

This portrait of Adam (1841-1902) was taken about 1863 when he was 22. He didn't marry and start his family for another 18 years.

In June of 1881, Adam married Kate Hagan (1851-1932) in St. Philip Neri Church, Dungannon. Both Adam and Kate were lifelong residents of Columbiana County. I reworked this portrait several times and I'm still not satisfied with it. . . I just don't know what to do about it. I guess I need to get smarter and get more experience with Photoshop.


No comments:

Post a Comment