Monday, July 15, 2013

Too Rainy to Take Pictures. . .

But don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Not only is it wet out, the current temperature is only 76°. When I realized it wasn't a fluke, I had to do a cost benefit analysis, weighing the rain against the cooler temperatures. Sad to say, the analysis was inconclusive, so I've been reading, watching Lord Jim, and writing this post. At least one of the weather sites is forecasting scattered thunderstorms for the next two days as well. . . we can only hope. In any case, I haven't been idle.


If you've been following my blog all along, you've seen this fine fellow before. This is my great-great-grandfather, William Wernet (1818-1901) or, as mother used to refer to him, Old William. The difference between this version of the portrait and the other one, is that I re-scanned the original and did my restoration this time using Photoshop. The previous version was about as good as I could do with the program I was using then. Oh! And I got enough experience in the last several months that I was able to reattempt it.


This Wernet family portrait (minus the lovely Mable, who was in Cleveland at the time) would have benefited from some fill flash. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to do that after the fact even with Photoshop. I was able to scan it at a high enough resolution that the size is large enough to see some detail that had been missing previously and the restoration went fairly well. Up on the porch are William Alexander (without his straw hat), and his wife, Eliza Conlin Wernet. On the stone steps are my grandfather, Austin C, his elder sister Alice, and their little brother, Vincent (or Vint). Vint left home shortly after this picture was taken, working his way through Colorado and the Rockies and settled in Rathdrum, Idaho. Mother was interested in whatever she could learn about Vint because of the stories she heard growing up. Every Christmas, he would write my grandmother, Austin's wife, and tell her the year’s news from Idaho and eastern Washington state. He loved Idaho, where he owned the eastern half of a mountain a dozen miles or so north of Coeur d’Alene. So in 1999 mother flew from Dallas to Salt Lake City and I flew from Atlanta to meet her for a genealogy trek to northern Idaho. They were so helpful in the Kootenai County Courthouse that she found all the records she was looking for in less than an hour and we found ourselves four days ahead of schedule. That gave us the time for sightseeing and we drove through Washington, up into the Canadian Rockies (including Banff and Lake Louise) then back into Idaho, where we inspected the Snake River, crossed into Oregon to shop in Pendleton, back to Boise and down to Salt Lake again. That was the best road trip I've ever taken. My only regret is, of course, that I didn't then have the cameras I have now. . . or I'd be showing you pictures of the Great Northwest.


This portrait is of Charles Wernet (1858-1925), Old William’s youngest son, who lived nearby his whole life. I don't know very much about him. His portrait required very little in the way of restoration, and he's such a handsome gentleman that I felt like I ought to include him.


And this last little treat is because you've been so good. The portrait was in pretty sad shape and, alas, there were no notes on the back of the picture. I don't think mother knew who she was, and this is one case where she didn't even speculate. For my part, the child is so beautiful I had to at least try to salvage her portrait.

I'll give you the next Austin weather report when I've got a few more pictures to post. Bye.



No comments:

Post a Comment