Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Still In Dungannon. . .

Well, I had four pictures lined up for this post but had to pull one of them. The picture's in good shape but the genealogy proved lacking. There is still hope that I can include it later, but a couple people are missing from the 1940 census and I'm not at all sure of the identification of 3/5 of the people in the picture. I'll hit the Internet and see what I can come up with. Meanwhile, we're still in Dungannon with the Brinkeys.

This picture is my grandmother, Bertha Brinkey Wernet (1882-1969). I assume she was still a Brinkey at the time of the picture. She married when she was 26 and she looks younger than that here. I've been wondering about this print, however. I scanned it in color since I could desaturate it later if necessary, but I like the dark green cardboard folder which protected the print all these years. What I wondered about, was the tone of the picture; I certainly wouldn't call it sepia because it matches its folder so well. My guess would be that my grandmother kept the picture herself and, finding it unnecessary to display, kept it safe from ultraviolet light that faded all the other pictures from this time period to the many shades of sepia.

Great time for an example. This portrait is my great aunt Mary (1885-1981), Bertha's younger sister. It's more typical of what you would expect to see as sepia. Not only that, it's a good portrait of Mary.

The last picture of this post is the youngest Brinkey sister, Agnes (1889-1960), and the youngest brother, Herman (1887-1974), with a couple of Herman's horses. Just my luck that the horse on the left is the same shade as its background. If it had been just a little more different, I would've emphasized it a bit and the snapshot would have benefited I think. But, it's not too bad and I was able to clean it up overall pretty well. Whenever I look at this picture I get a flash of FDR and my attention is drawn immediately to Herman's cigar. Of course, Roosevelt was a bigger man - never mind that he smoked cigarettes in a holder, and not cigars - but it still makes me think him. Maybe it was the two years I spent aboard his namesake aircraft carrier.





No comments:

Post a Comment