Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Inks Lake II

Memorial Day weekend in 2000 was a lot of fun for me. The clan was gathering at Inks Lake on Friday and I managed to schedule a business meeting in Fort Worth that day. I told mom I was coming, but asked her to keep it to herself. When I finished at Lockheed, I went back to mom's empty house and slept till the wee hours of Saturday morning, then rose and headed south in my rental car. When I pulled into the campsite at 7 AM, I beeped the horn once and sat smiling in the car as the sun of recognition dawned on the bleary-eyed campers.

The small, paired photos in this post are all from that weekend in 2000. They're small because I had just gotten my Sony Mavica, with low resolution pictures and 3 1/4 inch disks to store them on. I used a lot of disks that weekend. Again, I wish I had then the cameras I have now. The larger pictures, the single ones, were favorites, scanned from earlier slides I had taken.


This one of Mom is one of my first "digital sketches" after I developed the process on the portrait of her great-grandfather, Old William. With her hair in the wind, this always reminds me of a Frederic Remington figure of an Indian. To the right is a napping Lauren, not much larger than the doll beside her.


I always liked this picture of Dad and Angela, taken in the early '80s. Angela had been looking pretty glum until dad reached over and tugged on her earlobe.


Early one morning I followed Lisa and David down to the water. They wanted to get some swimming in before breakfast and played for about 45 minutes on the mooring ropes of Tim's ski boat. I liked the softness of the light at that hour and thought what beautiful kids we had.


This is one of my favorite Inks Lake pictures - well, actually, two of my favorite Inks Lake pictures. Standing behind "home plate" I focused on the batter (Angela) in the left of the frame and took a picture. Then I focused on the pitcher (Cathie) in the center of the frame and took another. The second baseman (Brad), like the girls, was in both pictures. They sat that way, focused and unfocused, for years - until I started scanning my slides and playing with the pictures on my computer. This one is much better than either of the two I combined to make it.


One of the main benefits of today's digital photography is the fact that you can shoot all day long and choose favorites from the hundreds available. Shooting slides - as I did then because the processing was cheaper - limited me to just over 100 (three rolls of 36) at most. Today's extra hundreds really increase the chance that you'll catch just what you want. I took several pictures of Dad and David, walking down to the lake with fishing poles, fishing, and David showing off his catch. None were just what I wanted, but having a good, clear picture of David and his grandfather is worth a lot more to me now.


With so many adults around, it wasn't always easy to see the kids developing their independence. But with this beginning, it's easy to see just how they became the independents they are today.




Angela's got her first cup of coffee for the day, so Lauren's breakfast will be served up shortly. Stan, who always has an opinion - or will manufacture one on the spot if necessary - reminds me in this picture of the stereotypical speakers in St. James Park, London, who harangue the passing multitudes, whether or not any of them listen. Karen, reading the Times, and Richard, reading the Statesman, appear undisturbed by Stan's take on the news of the day.


The rest of these just seem to capture the daily activities of camp life: Stephen, helping Paul rig his fishing line, and Ben, out on the point, casting.


The sun's going down so Richard has got the chicken started on the grill, while Mary and Lauren are amused by something off-camera. Angela and David are in the background. To the right, Maureen and Ellen are lounging on floats, far enough out that the kids can't accost them.


This shows how well that worked. Angela and Allison have caught up with Maureen. To the right, Kay and Michael are passing on latest from San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment