Friday, August 14, 2009

Random Portraits

I've found myself spending entirely too much time preparing my posts so, as a remedy, I'll spend less time trying to come up with themes for each post and simply publish a few pictures each time that I particularly like. I'm going to start this off with more or less random portraits, random at least in their relationship to each other. I have a folder of favorites chronologically ordered and I'll just start at the top. I will, however, skip the occasional picture to keep one subject from appearing twice in one post for variety's sake.

Ellen -- 1970

Ellen's birthday was this past Wednesday so I guess it's an appropriate time to start this series of portraits. This one was taken in the back yard in Austin when I got home from Adak on leave in the summer of 1970. I was still learning to use my Minolta camera which I'd only had for a couple of months. I especially liked the look on Ellen's face in this one, the hint of a smile - and of course her "big hair".


Mary -- 1970

This picture of Mary was taken later in the afternoon of the same day as the previous portrait - and she's in the same mimosa tree. Of the several I took of her that afternoon, this is one of the few that didn't have a shadow across her face. As I said, I was still learning my new camera and all the new things I had to account for.


Donna -- 1973

I'm guessing on the year for this one; it may have been 1974. It was taken in Asheville the weekend we painted Tony and Donna's "new" house. Donna's hair was cut shorter that I'd ever seen it - but I like it. The dog is the first of several miniature schnauzers in the family, so forgive me for not being sure of their order. This one is either Heidi or Gretchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment