Saturday, October 23, 2010

Cape Hatteras Light

The commentary on this post will be brief since all five pictures are of Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, the iconic lighthouse in North America, if not the world.


Pat and I wandered around till we could get a good shot - or two - from the west with late afternoon lighting. It's a pretty raggedy-ass foreground when you study it, but the detail in the lighthouse tower is good. The weather continues to be great, the temperature wonderful.


This is a better foreground certainly, and it's close enough for great detail on the tower. On top of it all, the sky behind the tower is Carolina Blue and the lighting is. . . perfect.

This shot's about as good as I can do from the lighthouse parking lot this late in the afternoon. I'll have to give Pat credit for the composition. By the time I got my camera out, he was across the parking lot clicking away. Note the tourists on the tower catwalk. I do like the star-shaped highlights from the windshields in the parking lot. They're serendipitous.

After I took the previous photos, we went down to the beach at the "old lighthouse site" to scout out a place where I could set up in the morning. From the beginning of my planning for this trip I intended to shoot a Cape Hatteras sunrise. . . and that means the actual sunrise as well as sunrise shots of the lighthouse.

The "old lighthouse site" refers to the location about half a mile away where the tower stood until it was moved in 1999-2000. Check out Cape Hatteras Light on Wikipedia for more information, including pictures of the move.

For you, of course, that'll have to wait till tomorrow. Pat and I went and sat out in front of the motel sipping - some might say guzzling - our scotch and bourbon respectively and watching the traffic go by as the sun went down. We checked our cell phone coverage with calls to several important people and eventually, when I ran out of Jack Daniels, we went down the road to Rusty's for a great seafood dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment