Saturday, October 16, 2010

Wright Square and the Bonaventure Cemetery

I have to wait a moment to start because the guys on Game Day are talking about the Texas/Nebraska game. . . the bums! They don't give the 'Horns a chance. We'll see. I may have to delay posting this 'til after the game.

Okay. The first stop on the East Coast Tour was Savannah. I forgot to mention in my intro yesterday that my host, Darin, and I worked together at Lockheed-Martin in Marietta. So, the weather's cleared out and we're in Wright Square waiting for Jennie to join us for lunch. I can't stand it just sitting there if I've got a camera on my lap, so I looked around for something to shoot. The first thing to catch my eye is the Federal Courts building on the west side of the square. Not only was the Georgia marble bright in the sunlight, but the architecture was perfect for this beautiful square.

 The building with the gold dome is the Savannah City Hall, north from Wright Square on the opposite side of Johnson Square (those trees in front of the dome). I like all the activity on the sidewalk at lunchtime and the utterly relaxed atmosphere with all the extras I hired for this shot. To get a feel for Savannah, one needs only to count the number of parks (squares), appreciate architecture, or maybe just note the design of the lamp posts - the details make the difference.

Jennie didn't stay long. Instead, she went off to take care of some business while Darin and I toured the Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum. Housed in the beautiful Scarborough House, originally the home of William Scarborough, former president of the Savannah Steamship Company, the museum boasts a huge collection of model ships - large model ships - all exquisitely done and representing the long-time relationship between Savannah and her economic lifeline.


After the museum we went back to the house to collect Jennie and headed off to the Bonaventure Cemetery - final resting place of Johnny Mercer, among others. But we weren't looking for specific tombstones or monuments; Bonaventure is simply a beautiful place to spend the afternoon. The huge live Oaks, streaming Spanish moss in the cool breezes, kept me looking up for photo opportunities as the light changed with the westering afternoon sun.


  
The cemetery (and a couple of others, adjacent) is bounded on the southeast by the Wilmington River, which adds to the beauty of this site. The river can be seen in both these pictures, above and below.


 I found it interesting, but not surprising, that the old Georgia state flag - with the Stars and Bars - was flying in the cemetery. Upon some reflection, I had to admit that I don't know whether it was there as an "official" statement, or whether it was simply included as a somewhat over-the-top display above a particular loved one's plot.

Now. About that football game. Texas 20 - Nebraska 13. 'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment