Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Jetty

The jetty in these pictures is one of several, a past attempt to control beach erosion that I had mentioned earlier. At the bottom of the page is a public domain photo I found online that shows the lighthouse at its old site, with two nearby jetties. The point of view is looking northeast, and "my" jetty the southern one.

This shot of the jetty was fairly dark and consequently had very little color. I brightened it a little, which gave me the detail I was looking for in the foreground but the lack of color bothered me a bit - in comparison to the other pictures. Instead of increasing the color saturation, however, I decreased it even more leaving only a hint of color left in the sea and the sky. It's just odd enough to make you study the picture for a moment or two.

Here, I like the sharp detail of the jetty and the blurred motion of the surf. And we've even got a little color in this one. Originally, the pink horizontal band in the middle of the clouds had me confused. Studying this picture, however, I see that the lower cloud bank (on the horizon) is farther away than the upper string of clouds which is much nearer and shows more detail.

I haven't quite figured this one out yet - why the sea seems to blend into the clouds in the distance when, in the previous shots, there was a clear horizon line. Whatever happened, happened while I was trying to catch the splash at the near end of the jetty and passed unnoticed at the time. That's what I like. . . pictures that give you something to think about.

Well, clearly the sun has now cleared the cloud banks and I have a horizon line again. I like how the morning sun colors the spray above the breakers as well as the jetty itself. You can almost feel the warmth of the sun in this picture, but the fact of the matter is that it wasn't really particularly chilly even before the sun rose.

Tomorrow: the actual sunrise.

*****

This is the Air Force photo I found online, showing the lighthouse at the pre-1999 site with the two beach erosion jetties.

No comments:

Post a Comment