Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Waning Crescent


Well, this series is kind of an extra treat if you will. As I mentioned before, my plan was to get up and photograph the sunrise on Cape Hatteras. But of course, that was about the extent of my planning. I didn't bother to find out when sunrise was, though Pat and I agreed it was probably around 7 o'clock. I set my alarm for 5:30; my thinking was that would give me time to shower and still give me plenty of time to get set up on the beach. I'd just look out the window and check the sky to determine when to leave for the beach.


With my first peek out the window I was presented with a beautiful rising crescent moon and thought, "It doesn't really matter when sunrise is; I need to get out there and shoot the moon anyway." So, I gathered my gear and beat feet for the beach.


Trust me, I was out there by myself for a long time, but it was glorious. I hadn't taken any real time exposures since I was in Adak in 1969-70, so I was doing this on the fly - in the dark - and, while there were some miscues, I was very pleased with the overall results.


Of course, you take what you can get and, when you're doing it in the dark, you're sometimes surprised by the results. In these last two shots, besides the moon I got a group of sandpipers that I didn't even see till much later. A  "phases of the moon calendar" online tells me this was a waning crescent moon (a day or two before the new moon).

No comments:

Post a Comment