Sunday, October 17, 2010

Tybee Island

A short administrative note for those of you who get the automatic e-mail notification when I post the pictures: when you get an e-mail from "40 Years or so...", just delete it and use your browser to come to the blog. The pictures and commentary are simply presented better on site than they are in the e-mail.
 *****
Alright. Now we're cookin' with gas! We left the Bonaventure Cemetery and headed out to Tybee Island. First on the agenda was the Tybee Island lighthouse. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't the gently curved silhouette we encountered. What a beautifully shaped tower! Of course, the weather was picture-perfect and the manicured lawns of nearby residences made for an absolutely perfect setting. We had to wander around a little bit to get the optimal view point, but it was worth the effort. "Looks just like one of them picture postcards, don't it, Pa?"

From the lighthouse on the northeast end of the island, we crossed town to find a public fishing pier on the southwest shore. The picture above sure makes the idea of living on the water enticing. I could get comfortable in a setting like this. Down towards that last wharf, I have it on good authority, is a fine restaurant called AJ's.

When I saw the guy above on the beach preparing to go out, I thought he was going to be windsurfing and that he'd unfurl a colorful sail just for me and my Canon. But, once again, it was brought to my attention that it's not all about me. There was no colorful sail, just a long paddle. Tybee Island's idea of a surfboard, I guess. After trying to figure out how to refer to this new sport (new to me at any rate), I took a stab at "paddle boarding" and found pictures on line to confirm my guess. In silhouette across the inlet (10 minutes or so later) he looked like a native spear fisherman standing in a swamped dugout canoe looking for supper.

Back on the east side of the causeway we found access to this fishing pier opposite what I assume is the Tybee Island shrimp fleet. I'd be interested in shooting a location like this anyway, but, in particular, I  wanted to get some shots my brother might be able to use as reference for some paintings. As it turned out, it must've been a holiday or something; I got my pictures but nobody was working on the boats and only a few birds were bothering to look for something to eat.

I liked the composition of this shot, but I decided to fiddle with it a little. I desaturated the color and. . . voilĂ . I managed to create some interest (I think) in an otherwise simple, unexceptional photograph.

These guys were on the pier when we arrived and hadn't caught anything while I clicked away with my camera. When I noticed he'd hooked something, I got several shots of the guy in the purple shirt landing his catch, a small stingray. When he saw me taking pictures, I smiled and remarked, "I'm going to make you famous." He grinned and carefully went about unhooking the ray. Then, after thinking it over for a couple of minutes he looked up and said, "You work for the newspaper?"

No comments:

Post a Comment