Monday, October 25, 2010

The Light of Dawn



These first two shots were taken about 10 minutes apart, the one below about 5 minutes before the sun broke out above the cloud bank. It's really amazing how much things change in such a short amount of time. By the time these two pictures were taken I wasn't alone on the beach anymore. The first surfer of the day showed up about 10 minutes before the first picture, followed quickly by a couple who just wanted to walk on the beach at sunrise. By the time the event was "over", there were probably 15 people around. (I guess they all had checked what time sunrise was.) But I was already set up when they arrived and, much to my surprise, not a single person walked in front of my camera. There was some talking, but that bordered on a whisper - everyone seemed to be displaying almost a reverence for the mood of the moment and an eagerness for the show was about to begin.



It was finally light enough to pick out the sandpipers at the edge of the water. I like both of these pictures very much (though the one below is overexposed) because the birds, for the most part, remained still as I took the pictures while the movement in the surf reflected the slow shutter speed I was using.


The last picture is kind of bonus. I saw something moving out in the water but couldn't tell what it was until I zoomed in with my telephoto lens and saw they were porpoises. I've seen porpoises at sea several different times in my life, but this is the first time I've ever had a camera close at hand when they graced us with their presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment