Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sun's Up

You might wonder why this shot made it to the Cape Hatteras Sunrise Series when you can't actually see the sun. Well, after spending all morning sitting on a rock on the beach in the dark taking pictures of sandpipers I couldn't even see, I figured I'd better stretch this out a little. It wouldn't do, after all the buildup, to have one sunrise shot and say, "That's it". Sunrise is, after all, a process. And the process starts when the sun peeks over the horizon, not the cloud bank. So, even though the sun is still essentially hidden by the clouds, there's little doubt - in my mind - it's cleared the horizon. And that's why this shot made it into the Cape Hatteras Sunrise Series.


Seriously, from the first peek till the sun's cleared the cloud bank, it's all about the changing light on the surf. Just for grins, why don't you all choose your favorite from these five shots and let me know which one you chose by leaving a comment




Click the word "comment" below (to the left of the email envelope); tell me which picture you like best and whether or not you think it was worth my getting up at 5:30 and heading for the beach.

1 comment:

  1. I like the breakers in the first, but like the warm light hitting the water and beach in the last one. I also like the sunlit top edge of the cloud bank. Thus, I have to go with the last one. Both are very nice.

    ReplyDelete