Wednesday, October 20, 2010

NC's Southern Barrier Islands: Topsail Island and Bogue Banks


Monday morning Joe left for his meeting in Raleigh and I started out shortly thereafter on the scenic route to Wilson to see Pat and Ginger. It was still overcast on the coast, the weather reports suggesting that things would be clearing up sooner rather than later. Perhaps, but I couldn't see it. In this instance, the scenic route meant as close to the coast as I could get, looking for photo opportunities along the way.

These first four pictures were taken somewhere between Surf City and North Topsail Beach. I searched the satellite view on Google maps, but couldn't place the site any closer than that.


These pictures, above and below, were taken from the same spot only a few moments part. The focal length (zoom) is slightly different, but I like that the difference in the surf confirms that in photography, as in most endeavors, timing is everything.


 
The surf fishermen are the same here as in the first pic, but I moved back a bit to add some interest by including some sea oats. The cloud cover is not offering me much hope for the OBX excursion with Pat.

Finally, some blue sky! However long it took to swing around Camp Lejeune and move a few miles up the coast to the Bogue Banks made all the difference in my outlook and disposition. The structure is the Bogue Inlet Pier, accessed appropriately enough through a large fishing tackle shop. I like the drama in the photo provided by the near alignment of the clouds with the pier.

This one I took from the pier to catch the sun's glare on the water. You have to remember, of course, that up till now all my seascapes were taken under overcast skies. Here, the cloud cover is broken, but I'll take what I can get. Even now I can remember the feeling I had that with the cloud cover breaking up, my photo opportunities would soon be opening up.


I like both of these pictures, the northeast side of the Bogue Inlet Pier above and the southwest side below. The first gives a sense of the community sharing its most prized asset with a little noise and excitement thrown in and the second suggests smaller groups and individuals, a bit isolated perhaps, but still enjoying their more quiet walks on the beach.


On leaving the island via the bridge to Morehead City, I headed inland through Havelock, outside MCAS Cherry Point, where my dad had been stationed and I had lived in the mid-50s. I took a few pictures of Annunciation Catholic Church and school that replaced the ones I remember. I wondered how Melvin Wetzel, also from Havelock, was doing. From there it was up past New Bern (Pete Harmatuk), and Kinston (J J Condon), to Wilson.

No comments:

Post a Comment